Safe driving reminders for this vacation season
July 12, 2018
In the summer we tend to travel more, whether for vacations or just weekend road trips. WorkSafeNB would like to remind you of the following safety tips to ensure we all enjoy a happy summer.
- Use a seatbelt at all times – driver and passenger(s).
- Be well-rested before driving.
- Avoid taking medications that make you drowsy.
- Set a realistic goal for the number of miles that you can drive safely each day.
- Driving requires your full attention. Avoid distractions, such as adjusting the radio or other controls, eating or drinking. Do not text or talk on the phone.
- Continually search the roadway to be alert to situations requiring quick action.
- Stop about every two hours for a break. Get out of the vehicle to stretch, take a walk, and get refreshed.
Avoid Aggressive Driving
- Keep your cool in traffic!
- Be patient and courteous to other drivers.
- Slow down in construction zones.
- Do not take other drivers’ actions personally.
Reduce your stress by planning your route ahead of time (bring the maps and directions), allowing plenty of travel time, and avoiding crowded roadways and busy driving times.